[abstract] HYDROGEN SULFIDE POISONING.

Rubicon Research Repository/Manakin Repository

[abstract] HYDROGEN SULFIDE POISONING.

Show full item record


Title: [abstract] HYDROGEN SULFIDE POISONING.
Author: Gloyna, DF; Wade, J
Abstract: Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) is a colorless, poisonous gas capable of rapidly causing dizziness, unconsciousness, respiratory paralysis, permanent brain damage and death. H2S at low concentrations (0.77ppm) has a characteristic odor of rotten eggs, at higher concentrations (100 ppm) it causes olfactory paralysis, causing loss of smell, and at still higher concentrations (700-900 ppm) death rapidly occurs. The physical properties and toxicity of H2S are similar to CO but the toxicity is worse. The level of poisoning --acute, subacute or chronic--depends on the duration and level of exposure to the gas, frequency and individual susceptibility. It can be found in a variety of industrial, farming, mining, roofing, and even hospital environments. At our hospital our ratio of H2S to CO poisonings are 1:3. Most recover from memory loss and headache after three hyperbaric oxygen treatments in twenty-four hours from the time of exposure. The case study presented will be of our first patient treated for H2S poisoning. This case study will cover some of the neurological changes and the possibility of delayed changes that the gas causes.
Description: Abstract of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, Inc. Annual Scientific Meeting held 6-11 June 1989. Hawaiian Regent Hotel, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA (http://www.uhms.org)
URI: http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/6544
Date: 1989

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
abstract.txt 193bytes Text file View/Open

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • UHMS Meeting Abstracts
    This is a collection of the published abstracts from the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) annual meetings.

Show full item record

Browse

My Account